ConnectWare gives more flexible access to your COBOL data and other ISAM data. ConnectWare allows you to use any existing non-relational ISAM data like a true sql data base. The ISAM data are presented like a data base table. The data base table will be accessed via the ConnectWare SQL Engine.
ConnectWare can be installed either as a stand alone product or as a data base server.
ConnectWare opens ISAM data to modern programming environments, programming tools, reporting tools, query tools and office applications.
- provides a powerful sql engine to access ISAM files
- integrates classical non-relational data storage (ISAM) into modern query tools, report generators, programing languages and web applications
- imports the COBOL file description (FD clause) automatically to create column definitions
- supports all kinds of query and manipulation sql statements (SELECT, DELETE, UPDATE and INSERT) across several linked tables and it is possible for totals, averages and groups of columns to be formed
- supports all the common COBOL field formats and converts these, in turn, to the corresponding odbc data formats
- provides security mechanisms for full user access control on a per table basis
- is scalable from a simple local database to a full functioning client/server environment serving any LAN/WAN or Wew topology
- is the perfect complement to a classical COBOL environment
ConnectWare automatically imports the file description of the ISAM file (DAT/IDX, ISM/KEY and others) from the FD clause of the existing COBOL source (COB,CPY,CBL and others).
The generated columns can be edited or deleted. The files are over the ODBC interface open for other tools.
- all .NET programming languages like Java, etc.
- MS Office, Open Office and others
- Crystal Reports, WinSQL, DbVisualizer and others
The products "ConnectWare for Micro Focus ISAM" and "ConnectWare for mbp ISAM" are running under all Windows platforms and support additionally to the COBOL-ISAM format Btrieve ISAM and Byte Designs D-ISAM.
For the Client/Server Environment the ConnectWare Server component is available. The server component must be installed on the server - additionally to the stand-alone product. The server component handles the access from Windows client to the ISAM files located on the server. The server products "ConnectWare Server Windows" and "ConnectWare Server UNIX/Linux" are available.